Sunday, July 29, 2012

Hot Dogs

Some fifty odd years back I was in Delhi and had to do shift duties. For the break I used to go with some of my friends to Connaught Place for some snacks and coffee. My favourite place was the Indian Coffee House there. At that time it was run from a small pucca building and customers sat under the shamiana. My favourite snack was 'hamburger'. It was two buns half fried on a oily tawa and with a piece of potato tikia and some onion rounds. What it did not have was the slice of 'ham'. Being a vegetarian of sorts I never missed that slice of ham. And then I never knew then that 'hamburger' should have 'ham' at all. I was under the impression that the thing was called so. Like Sundar who may not be so. Many many years later myself and my wife went to be with our son for few months in US. He showed us all the necessary tourist spots like Statue of Liberty, Niagara and all those places where Indian tourists flock and click. I think it was in Washington DC where we went to a McDonald for some snacks. My son asked us what we would like to have and told what are generally available there. So I told that I want hamburger. Then my son revealed the truth which has so far eluded me. That in US hamburger will have ham in it. He found out a solution. He went to the person on the counter and told to make four hamburgers but in two of them not to put put ham. The guy gave my son quizzical look but got busy with making a ham burger without ham.
 Like that I used to wonder what is this 'Hot Dog'. It was a name I have come across in English novels quite often. If it was a Chinese delicacy I would not have had any doubt at all. It should be the real 'bow bow'.
By the way I think you all would have read a news of a proposal. All the street dogs to be sent to North East so that there the people can enjoy Real Hot Dogs and even conduct eating competitions.

vkguptan@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment